Saturday, November 24, 2007

It's me from my own computer!

Hi everyone! We are HOME! YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! We experienced a minor delay...about an hour in Beijing and then about 15 minutes on the runway, but our pilot made up most of the time and we touched down on American soil last night at about 5:40 p.m. I can't tell you how happy we were to see Chicago, to hear English, to talk with Chicago police officers and immigration workers and customs processors! What a beautiful accent you Chicagoans have! Oh we are so glad to be home.

Our homecoming was a dream come true. A group of nearly 20 friends and family welcomed us with cheers and balloons and clapping when we walked through the final set of doors at the airport. Faith couldn't help herself and she ran past the visitor's "line" when she saw me and gave me the biggest hug...I have been waiting for that! Charis didn't stop smiling for hours. About 5 new friends her age came along and mobbed her, along with her brother and sister and Nanny and Poppy. She loved it! We took a limo home...that was so nice of Scott's mom and dad...all the kids Charis' age got to ride...it was me, Scott, Warren , Margaret and 8 kids! The kids had prepared a binder for Charis in which to hold her artwork and all the kids enjoyed watching Charis draw pictures on the ride home and they couldn't believe how fast she could write (Chinese calligraphy letters!). Charis loves an audience. Then the kids sang songs and then Charis sang a couple Chinese songs...and Faithy wanted us all to sing Amazing Grace, so that's what we did!

At home we were greeted by tons of signs and balloons...some written in Chinese for Charis! So cool! We ate Thanksgiving leftovers...mmmmm! Everything is better the next day anyway! The neatest thing was watching all the kids play together...9 kids...they were all loving on Charis and constantly calling her name. They played upstairs, downstairs and in the play room and then they watched a Chinese version of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse that we bought in China. They all crowded around the computer screen together to watch it...so cute! (It wouldn't play on our DVD player!) Faithy cried alot! I actually expected this...it was sort of her let down emotionally. I just hugged her and held her all night. I told her "You don't have to cry, Mommy is home now." She said, "I want to cry." I understand that (as do most of my female friends!), so I told her to just cry then...and she did! It was quite cute actually! And I didn't mind at all. I know I am very loved and I am so thankful to be home with all my children!

Charis LOVED everything...except the food! Oh well! After all our friends left, Nanny and Poppy stayed for little while and we gave them and the kids the gifts we bought for them on our trip. This was a sweet time. Charis enjoyed showing her Nana and Poppy pictures of herself and of her drawings and the 3 kids...my THREE kids...really enjoyed hanging out together. It was beautiful and I was just so thankful to God for bringing us all home together safely. The kids slept in sleeping bags on the floor in our bedroom...so much fun! We actually did get some sleep. Charis woke up around 3:00 a.m....I heard her. She got up and looked outside and walked around our bedroom. She found some LEGOs and sat and played with them. She knew to be quiet so I just let her play. At 6:00 I got up with her. She ate a banana and tried some Grape Nuts. When the kids awoke they all played and are still playing. They want to go outside! Charis is so excited about her backyard!

Oh dear friends and family...thank you so much for praying for us. Please continue to keep us in your prayers. I will keep you posted for awhile about how things are gong and over the next several days I will be posting pictures as I have time to upload them. I can't wait to see you all and give and get many hugs and smiles. You will meet our new daughter very soon!

In the plane ride home Charis asked for the first time what her dad does. I told her he teaches people about God. She will see firsthand what that means very soon. We are planning on going to church this weekend (Hawthorn campus) and then next weekend, Scott preaches so I thought I would bring Charis along, and our other kids, to show her everywhere her daddy works and to meet all of you! For our farther away friends and family...we can't wait to introduce our new daughter to you personally as soon as we can. Much love to all of you and a HUGE thankful to our great God.